Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:35:53 PDT
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Print Server Explanation (Simplified)

Content Type: text/plain

On 10/11/01, Jordan Fox wrote, in part:

>> The SMC 7004* has six connectors. One is the "uplink" to your DSL or
>> cable ISP. One is the printer connector. Four are network connectors.
>O.K.
>
>> The print server in the SMC will handle one printer, but many
>> standalone-in-a-separate-box print servers let you plug
>> in several printers.
>O.K.
>And the SMC isn't going to cover 2 printers *directly*, all by its lonesome.

>> So, if you plug in *one* additional print server that can
>> handle *three* printers, you now have *four* networked printers (one is
>> on the SMC and three are on this additional printer server box).
>
>Sounds like a daisy-chaining arrangement to me. And the IP printing
>presumably makes this all transparent (once properly set up), with
>negligible speed penalty.

Well, it's more like STAR arrangement, with the SMC being at the center.
You can expand at any time by adding a hub or a switch (smart hub).
You're not stuck forever with just the four ports that come with the SMC.

>I presume I still need a couple _software_
>print server app.s on top of this, to make it all go.
>I could live with that, as long as it introduces no added
>complexity for the rather naive users who will actually be using it.

You can use the SW that comes with the SMC for the SMC. If you buy
another 1- or 3-port printserver, it will come with its own Win9x
software that will work. They shouldn't conflict. All the software
actually does is add a network port to the list of available ports you
can print to, e.g. LPT1:, COM1:, FILE:, and now 192.168.123.xxx.

It is truly transparent once you install the LPR application that
makes possible to select an IP address to print to instead of,
say LPT1: or suchlike. Really no different from non-network printing,
once you're set up. And setup isn't hard, just different. You
just create a printer that prints to the network instead. You can
leave your previously-defined printers if you like. In fact, if you
ever have a problem, you can go back to them if you don't delete them.

>They are by now accustomed to selecting from available printer
>objects (W98-style), from earlier office setups where they had two
>printers connected to one workstation, via two Par. ports.
>Hopefully, sending a print job to a chosen IP printer "target"
>would be no more complex-seeming than that.

You've got it! ... and it isn't.

>> And if you do that, you can still plug in three computers because
>> the SMC has *four* network connectors (one is used by the additional
>> printer server box so three are still available).

Exactly!!

>Well, they do also have a laptop, so this is interesting. The main
>reason for that scenario would be while one of the two desktops in
>the office is down for maintenance, or something like that . . .
>but primarily to have the laptop take advantage of the SMC firewall
>and broadband connection. Having access to print service at the
>same time would be a plus.

It would be no more difficult to set it up for the laptop also.

>Now, extra Print Server box vs. Printer Switchbox. I've seen it
>mentioned that the old mechanical type could fry a printer. For
>the sake of discussion, let's suppose the later electronic type
>are 100% free of this concern. Forget about the cost for the moment.
>Which of the two solutions is more bulletproof and transparent,
>from the perspective of a naive user ? Maybe a 50/50 call here ?

Although I favor the printserver solution, many people use a
switchbox without problem. But wWhen you change printers, it
does require manual selection of which printer on the switchbox
will be connected (ultimately) to the computer for a print job.

>I think I'd still lean towards the IP solution. In that case,
>which additional printer box do I get, to hook into the SMC, where
>do I look for it, & how much $ ? If the extra box supports
>two printers, that would be plenty.

I've seen 3-port TCP/IP printservers of new design for under $100,
and single-port for $60-70, maybe less. (I've never seen a 2-port.)
There's a number of low-cost manufacturers entering this arena,
as network printing catches on. D-Link comes to mind, but I've
not used their product. They are low-cost but usually adequate.

>I expect the SMC (and probably the extra print server box) are
>powered devices ? I think I would like to place them on the UPS,
>as long as we don't run out of connections. The cable modem too.

Printservers use very little power. My Digi 3400x micro printserver
draws 2-5W; The entire SMC7004 draws only 5W; a 3-port printserver
would be only a little more.

>If you care to try for 2 out of 2, tell me (in equally clear terms)
>if there's any good way to do this redundantly, such that we'd have
>physical connection alternatives in the event of some problem with the
>IP-printing. But I bet it can't be done without a switchbox.
>Jordan

I think I agree about the switchbox. I'd be inclined to temporarily plug
the printer cables into the computer directly (revert to the current
configuration) if the printserver failed, rather than buy a second
printserver and some printer switches, "just in case".

Return to [ 11 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904
Santa Ana, CA 92799-6904, USA