Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 13:51:29 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Print Server Explanation (Simplified)

Content Type: text/plain

Peter replied unto me thusly:

> > I just don't quite follow you here. What is going
> > into the SMC input port, and from where ? If there
> > is just one Parallel connection at the SMC, the other
> > printer is left out, No ? Unless one of the printers
> > has a network printer card inside it (for the
> > available Ethernet connector you mentioned), and they
> > don't.
>
> The SMC 7004* has six connectors. One is the "uplink" to your DSL or
> cable ISP. One is the printer connector. Four are network connectors.

O.K.

> What Steve means is that you can use the *four* network connectors to
> plug in *four* computers, _or_ *three* computers plus *one* additional
> print server box, _or_ *two* computers plus *two* additional print
> server boxes, etc.

> The print server in the SMC will handle one printer, but many
> standalone-in-a-separate-box print servers let you plug in several
> printers.

O.K. And the SMC isn't going to cover 2 printers *directly*, all by its lonesome. That much probably
came across earlier.

> So, if you plug in *one* additional print server that can
> handle *three* printers, you now have *four* networked printers (one is
> on the SMC and three are on this additional printer server box).

Sounds like a daisy-chaining arrangement to me. And the IP printing presumably makes this all transparent
(once properly set up), with negligible speed penalty. I presume I still need a couple _software_ print
server app.s on top of this, to make it all go. I could live with that, as long as it introduces no added
complexity for the rather naive users who will actually be using it. They are by now accustomed to
selecting from available printer objects (W98-style), from earlier office setups where they had two
printers connected to one workstation, via two Par. ports. Hopefully, sending a print job to a chosen IP
printer "target" would be no more complex-seeming than that.

> And if you do that you can still plug in three computers because the SMC has
> *four* network connectors (one is used by the additional printer server
> box so three are still available).

Well, they do also have a laptop, so this is interesting. The main reason for that scenario would be
while one of the two desktops in the office is down for maintenance, or something like that . . . but
primarily to have the laptop take advantage of the SMC firewall and broadband connection. Having access
to print service at the same time would be a plus.

Now, extra Print Server box vs. Printer Switchbox. I've seen it mentioned that the old mechanical type
could fry a printer. For the sake of discussion, let's suppose the later electronic type are 100 % free
of this concern. Forget about the cost for the moment. Which of the two solutions is more bulletproof
and transparent, from the perspective of a naive user ? Maybe a 50/50 call here ? I think I'd still lean
towards the IP solution. In that case, which additional printer box do I get, to hook into the SMC, where
do I look for it, & how much $ ? If the extra box supports two printers, that would be plenty.

I expect the SMC (and probably the extra print server box) are powered devices ? I think I would like to
place them on the UPS, as long as we don't run out of connections. The cable modem too.

> > I didn't really follow Peter's explanation either.
> > (Sorry, Peter.)
>
> I showed my original message to The Duck and he didn't understand it
> either. So he bit me on the ankle.

Not to worry -- I think you've finally achieved clarity this time: without feathers, or crude diagrams.
If you care to try for 2 out of 2, tell me (in equally clear terms) if there's any good way to do this
redundantly, such that we'd have physical connection alternatives in the event of some problem with the
IP-printing. But I bet it can't be done without a switchbox.

Jordan

Return to [ 11 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904