Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:50:42 PDT
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Non IBM Internet Dialers

Content Type: text/plain

Thanks, guys. I think I'm OK now. Here's what I did. I created an
executable file, named "Dialer.exe", using VisProRexx. I saved a copy of
it in C:\TCPIP\BIN. This executable file takes the place of the IBM
Internet dialer (same filename, same location) that Linkup.exe calls.
That is, Linkup.exe calls this file instead of the IBM dialer. Now,
however, the executable does the following in place of the dialer:

1. Calls the AT&T Internet dialer, allowing me to connect
2. Waits for me to establish the Internet connection with the dialer
3. Waits for the selected Internet application, like FTPPM.EXE, to open
up
4. Waits for me to close that Internet application (after I have
finished at the Internet site)
5. Closes the dialer, Slip.exe and Linkup.exe

Therefore, now when I use any Internet application, it calls Linkup.exe,
just as normal. Linkup.exe calls the executable. Now, I do not have to
manually close the dialer application any more after I've finished.

HCM

Steven Levine wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> In <200111071315.AA34930904@oco.net>, on 11/07/01
> at 01:15 PM, "mrakijas" said:
>
> >(I had discounted the possibility that he wanted slippm.exe since so few
> >ISP use SLIP, see his text above). I inferred that he needed to get a
>
> Huh? Slippm has done PPP for years. It is what appears on your screen
> when you invoke "Dial Other Internet Providers". Actually, slippm did PPP
> before the Advantis dialer did, IIRC.
>
> >distinguishing between linkup and dialup is an error but I plead on the
> >somewhat muddled distinction between the two unless you use something
> >like InJoy. Linkup/dialer, the combination, will normally let you
>
> Well, if effect, Injoy does does the linkup and the dialer function. You
> can have it connect and then invoke applications.
>
> >unfortunately for Harry, the AT&T one he wants doesn't seem to conform
> >to what is normally accommodated with IBM's setup.
>
> I'm not so sure about that, but I'll let Harry tell us for sure.
>
> >I was only trying to help Harry figure out how to either trick it
> >further or get the connections up that he wants. Can you suggest an
> >alternative for him so that he can get the connections he wants?
>
> I think he has them now, but I'm awaiting his response.
>
> Steven
>
> --

Return to [ 07 | November | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group