Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:40:08 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: SCOUG-HELP Digest 6/6/01 edition

Content Type: text/plain

Peter wrote:

> System Commander's first task will have to be LVM support so it can boot
> on an LVM system.

I'm not sure that this will wind up on their 'To Do' List at all. This will
depend on whether or not they consider it worth their while to bother. Do
they still have enough OS/2 customers to make this a cost-worthy proposition ?

In a later message, Peter spake unto us thusly:

> The eCS installation we watched two weeks ago seemed to take about as
> much work as a Warp 4 + FP install. Didn't Kim say something about
> networking not being "included" - you still run the Warp 4 network
> installer, even to get DSL or cable modem support? What do you get that
> you don't get with Warp 4 + WarpUp (Duane's $10 CD)?

Wondering if we witnessed the same demo ? I had to leave a bit early, but
probably saw 90 % of it. There was a parallel install process for the network
stuff, but this was readily accessed from the ECS CD(s). All in all, a pretty
smooth and compelling demo, I thought.

> > The eCS GA should be an even easier install
> > and should work direct from the CD.
>
> But Kim said something about the pre-boot screen not supporting SCSI,
> which I'm a little concerned about. I have SCSI CD drives -- how am I
> supposed to install if the eCS pre-boot only supports IDE/ATAPI?

I run an all-SCSI system, so this would concern me also. However, I seem to
recall Kim saying a lot of users in Europe -- Germany in particular -- run
SCSI, so they had to make solutions for this a priority, which they did.
Anyone else remember that ?

> > You should take a look at the value-add applications.
> > There's a lot there if you need what's offered.
>
> The ones Kim mentioned seemed like they were all "lite" versions.
> Gwinn's SIO driver (for COM ports) doesn't work with the PCI bus, for
> example. Kim said he didn't recommend trying to use the StarOffice
> which comes with eCS; he said use the Windows version instead, under
> Odin, and he's not supplying the Windows version. Odin itself doesn't
> come with eCS.

I thought it was included somewhere among the bonus stuff, with extra 'Try at
your own risk' disclaimers, to legally distance it more from the official
Serenity offerings. But I may not have heard him right on this one.

> You get the WarpIN installer but that's a free
> download. Pillarsoft's Enhanced Editor is included (it's a free
> download too) but I've played with it and it still needs some work
> (doesn't scroll smoothly like epm, won't print on some systems, hangs on
> large files).

There are enough glitches and limitations with the OS/2 System Editor that
this has to be a net improvement, IMO. Curiously however, I note that the
add-on HTML stripper for E_Ed seems to be broken in the 2.30+ releases. It
just makes a truncated mess. The feature used to work reliably with the prior
version I had installed, the much older 1.30. I've mentioned this to
PillarSoft.

> The big concern that everyone seems to have about the
> Lotus stuff is "no support" so I don't see why I should switch to Lotus.

Switch (?), No. But if you never had it (and I didn't), that's also a net
plus. But I'll try not to become too reliant on anything in the SmartSuite
package.

> The graphics looked great. Where's the meat?

Others have already put their .02c worth in on this, and I may have further
comment after I read Peter's longer piece in the June newsletter. However,
without citing any other example, let me suggest that the 'make your own
custom, full-boot Warp CD' feature -- also suitable for travelling -- is worth
the price of admission all by itself. I don't recall the name of the module
responsible, but it's written up in the new issue of extended attributes.

Jordan

Return to [ 10 | June | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904