Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:42:01 PDT
From: Peter Skye <pskye@peterskye.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Desktop bye-bye

Content Type: text/plain

didn't fix it, Object ReCreator didn't fix it. I need to know what
additional files need to be restored from my backups to bring back the
Desktop.
_____

What happened:

My main OS/2 partition is G:. I installed some software (NewView) and
rebooted, no Desktop. Error message (which I've gotten occasionally
before) is:

Workplace Shell
Your Desktop could not be found in the
OS2.INI file. An attempt will be made to
create a temporary directory. If this
fails, an OS/2 window will be displayed.

So I rebooted to my Maintenance partition (F:) and _its_ Desktop was
gone too (same error message). Weird. Never had that happen before.

I then reinstalled my old OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI files from backups and
the Desktop still was gone (same error message). So I reinstalled the
Maintenance partition (F:) OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI files from backups and
still no Desktop there either. So I went back several backup
generations and restored OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI for both G: and F: from
last week and still no Desktop (same error message). I *know* these
backups are good -- I rebooted just a few hours ago and the Desktop came
up fine.

I also tried Object ReCreator (orc.exe) and recreated the Desktop. The
program ran but still no Desktop.

I have all my functionality. I have my Warp Center. I have all my
custom shadows in the Warp Center (the "Toolbar"). I can open the
G:\Desktop\ directory and my Desktop will come up in a window, and from
there I can get to my Startup group so I can manually run all the
Startup programs (such as TCPSTART.CMD). So I have all my
functionality, although startup now has more manual steps. But I don't
have a Desktop.

What I don't understand is why my old OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI files from
several different backups, all of which contain good files, don't bring
back the Desktop. In the past, running Object ReCreator or restoring
old OS2*.INI files always worked. (And yes, I restored the OS2*.INI
files while booted to a different partition so SHUTDOWN wouldn't
overwrite the .INI files I had just restored.)

What file(s) am I missing that need to be restored from my backups?

- Peter

Return to [ 27 | July | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904