Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:02:03 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Recipes for a Fried System

Content Type: text/plain

Peter wrote:
{taken from various messages to different List members}

> Oops. Too late. I ran it. Three times. :))
> And everything is really fried now. CLEANINI ran to completion
each

> Question: Why should UniMaint, CheckIni and CleanIni be run in
that
> particular order?

and so forth. The following is just my opinion, and I'm
certainly no
authority re h/w or s/w. But I think one can get paranoid about
diag-
nostic and fix-it type stuff. And it is quite possible to Test
or Fix
your system to death. My motto is D O N ' MESS ! And if it
ain't
broke . . . . I'm aware of Checkini and Cleanini, may even
have
a recent copy of each, but have never used them. UniMaint may
not be
a complete solution, but *periodic* use of it has worked for me.
backup the Desktop, probably not as often as I should (have kept
that
to 15 generations, may increase it to 20), but try to do so after

major installs (leaving the "before" snapshot to the previous
desktop
backup, whenever that was), I run Repair INIs every couple weeks,
and
make a Portable Backup set every couple months. I've never had
reinstall Warp, and have had no critical failures. The worst
that
has happened was a couple occasions where the layout of the
desktop
got badly scrambled (the positioning of things), the last desktop

backup was too out of date, and I had to manuallyt place the
objects back where
they belonged from memory. And there were a few "Warp won't
load" type
problems such as everyone has had, typically associated with h/w
or driver
changes, which were overcome fairly quickly.

> You _know_ I like to experiment. I learn a lot that way.

Hey, if that's something you enjoy, have a blast ! I only have
the
single box here at the moment, and I really just want it to keep
running as well as it has been. For me, system trouble is not
fun.
Maybe if I was getting paid to experiment with _someone else's_
h/w
. . . but even then I suspect it would not be fun. Interesting,

*maybe*.

Jordan

Return to [ 10 | September | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group