Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:16:41 PDT
From: Ray Davison <raydav@charter.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Ghost vs. Drive Image vs. Zip

Content Type: text/plain

How are any of these proprietary backup and restore systems superior to
ZIP and UNZIP. I have successfully restored and moved partitions,
including the OS/2 boot partition. Also, if I want a file from a
backup, with a decent file manager I can instantly jump to that file and
pluck it out.

Ray

"J. R. Fox" wrote:

> I know that some SCOUG member(s) use Norton Ghost, since it was
> mentioned at one of the last couple meetings. I've been a
> longtime user of the competing Drive Image to make whole
> partition backup images, but the latter's
> packet-writing-direct-to-CD feature never worked on my hardware.
> So, when I saw Ghost on sale, I bought it to try some
> comparisons. Haven't had the chance to actually do this yet, but
> I've read some of the documentation, which points up certain
> differences and possible issues.
>
> DI recognizes and can handle HPFS automatically. (Version 4,
> anyway. Per some reports, Power Quest seems to have dropped
> *any* remaining functionality relevant to OS/2 from their
> Partition Magic product, and may have done the same with the new
> version of DI, which has just been released.) Ghost can only
> cope with HPFS partitions via a sector-by-sector copy mode, which
> -- if I read this right -- does not yield a compressed image,
> whereas DI's can be compressed up to 50%. That would be a major
> PITA, if you are trying to archive onto a single CD.
>
> Further, the Ghost docs say that for Restore purposes, due to
> drive geometry issues, an HPFS image can only go onto another
> h/d of _the same model and size._ It says this is because there
> is specific drive geometry / location info contained in the HPFS
> partitioning. If true, that almost makes the program worthless
> to me. The thing is, I'm pretty sure I used DI for several
> partition restores, a couple years ago when I migrated from my
> old hard drive, a 4.5G Quantum, to the 9.1G IBM I've used ever
> since. (Both H/Ds were SCSI.) And everything worked just fine.
> But apparently, Ghost would not be able to do this, nor would it
> be of use when I migrate again to a larger H/D. This is also
> important because my DAT drive now needs repair or replacement,
> so I presently have no other backup option available.
>
> Any of you Ghost users care to step up in defense of this program
> ? (I have the "2001 Personal Edition" for Win98/NT/etc. It's
> Command Line version, included, works under real DOS.)
>
> Jordan

Return to [ 24 | September | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904