Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 23:55:44 PDT
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Can I use a 19' monitor?

Content Type: text/plain

As Peter said, higher resolutions make everything smaller.
One compensates for this with a larger monitor.

256 colors is really not adequate today. Try 16-bit color
instead. That's 65,535 colors. It's not quite photo quality,
but pretty good nevertheless. It also requires TWICE
as much video memory, and slows down rendering somewhat.
You'll have to decide if your machine is fast enough
for you. Try it. More RAM memory will help speed up your
computer. RAM is cheap today, and 32MB is no longer enough.

There are some nice short-neck 19 inch monitors available,
I just bought another one. My favorites are:

Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920 (flat-screen Diamondtron/Trinitron tube,.24mm)
Hitachi CM771/CM771 Flat screen fine dot pitch (.22 x .14mm)
and too new yet to rank, the
Hitachi CM721F Flat Screen (.20 x .14mm) dot pitch

The CM721F will replace the CM715, which replaced the CM751
which is my other 19 inch monitor. I'd buy larger but I
don't have the desktop depth. Short neck is a big help.
Hitachi has just extended their monitor warranty to 5 years!

[I just bought a Gateway VX920 refurb (appears to be the
Mitsubishi DP 920) for under $200, with an abbreviated warranty.
I've always been partial to Trinitrons.]

You'll find that 1024x768x65K will look nice on a 19 inch monitor.
I found that 1280x1024 on a 19 inch monitor made the features
too small for me. I've chosen the finest (smallest) dot pitch
I could afford, hoping to get even higher resolutions to look good.
But 1152 x 864 is the highest I can manage on a 19 inch, although
I run 1280 x 1024 on my 21 inch monitor at work. The larger
monitor allows it without making the features too small.

4MB of video memory will allow up to 24-bit color at up to
1280 x 1024. But 3-byte (24-bit) color is slower.

Viewsonic makes good monitors, I just never investigated them,
finding my ideal set of features elsewhere. And Viewsonic is
a local success story. I've visited their factory and got a
tour with their chief engineer.

Good luck.

++++++++++
On 9/23/01, jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net wrote, in part:

>My pc has a 200 MHz AMD K6 processor and 32 MB of RAM
>and a Matrox Millenium video card with 4 MB of memory.
>
>Currently I am using a 15" Viewsonic 15GS monitor
>at 800x640x256 and having no problems.
>
>I am considering replacing this monitor with a 19" ViewSonic and running
>it at 1280x1024x256 or the next higher resolution and 256 colors because
>these eyes are wearing out
>
>Will I have any problems running the larger monitor
>at the resolutions I am thinking of?
>TIA for the advice.
>jack.huffman@worldnet.att.net

Return to [ 23 | September | 2001 ]