Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 12:26:53 PDT
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Print Servers (SMC)

Content Type: text/plain

Jordan:

I did a google search on lpr printing and one of the
sites I stumbled across gave me:

source: http://www-6.ibm.com/jp/printer/download/driver/lprreadme.txt
README File for the IBM LPR Remote Printing Client 4 March 1998

source: http://www-6.ibm.com/jp/printer/download/driver/INSTLPR.EXE

I deduced the download file name from the text of the readme, and
saved the info above in case someone (me) should need it again.
I found other copies (of different file sizes, and possibly newer),
but this is the one I installed this past July.

I've used this lpr to install two additional print servers beyond
the SMC's built in, one HP 170X and the Digi 3400 that comes with
the Xerox NC20. Based on a these two, I believe that it will work
on other TCP/IP print servers too. There are other formats, but
I've stuck with TCP/IP out of simplicity, for me, and compatibility
with Warp.

I've got two computers, two print servers and two printers, possibly
adding one more printer, when and if. One laser and one color inkjet
sounds about right. I added a large-format (B-size, tabloid) color
inkjet for engineering drawings I wanted to print at home. With a
multi-port print server, like the HP 300, you could have one print
server and three printers. But with the cheapies I've got, it's one
for one. Each could conceivably have its own lpr program in Windoze,
because 'doze 9x doesn't come with it, you have to add it. Warp 4
comes ready for TCP/IP printing for up to 8 printers, out of the box.

More ethernet cable is all that I required. The SMC's 4-port switch
is enough for two computers and two printers. Since the print server
takes over the parallel port input to the printer, I don't know how
to share, unless some kind of parallel-port switch might work -- a
kludge I've avoided.

If you really need to print to the parallel port, you can do a quick
hardware connector swap. A nuisance, but not all that hard if
you're motivated.

--Steve

+++++++++++++++++++
On 10/6/01, J. R. Fox wrote, in part:
>Steve Carter wrote:
>> Print server installation went smoothly, on both OS/2 and Windoze.
>> Windoze 9x doesn't come with TCP/IP printing, so you have to install
>> it from somewhere. SMC has it for their print server on their CD.
>> If you also use a second print server, as I do, you may have to find
>> other TCP/IP software to communicate with it.
>
>How many print servers might one need ? Whenever I do set up the SMC
>I bought for others, I know they will have one b&w laser printer,
>and one color inkjet, to be shared -- at will -- by two separate
>workstations.
>(Please explain this at primer level, since I have only the vaguest
>notion of what a print server is, and how it functions.)
>
>What sort of cabling is involved -- just more ethernet cable ? Can
>there be some sort of ual connection, such that a workstation can
>_also_ directly drive a printer, as an alternative to using the
>network printing ?
>
>> I found an IBM package, in Japan, which fills the bill nicely,
>> and allows up to (I think) 16
>> different print servers to be defined, more than enough for me.
>> I've come to embrace network printing, even for my two computers.
>> I networked my new Xerox (N)C20 printer within an hour of first
>> assembling the pieces. I'm a convert!
>
>In case I may need this s/w package (for W98, what they are running),
>where do I obtain it ?
>
>TIA.
>
>Jordan
>
>P.S. : No one quoted me that full addressing line, including the "88" for
>Netscape.

Return to [ 06 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904