Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:13:34 PDT
From: "Dave Watson" <xowatson@concentric.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Update re SMC-7000

Content Type: text/plain

So, is your router for sale? I assume if they don't want networking
they don't need it. Or maybe you can donate it to the raffle?

Sorry. Didn't mean to tease. But if they're using broadband
internet, it appears they've learned to live with networking. I would
advise these folks that they should consider the tradeoff of benefits
versus hassles. Networking benefits are enormous. Networks are
pretty easy once they're set up, and as computing gear goes, the
network hub is about the simplest, most stable, and easiest to
troubleshoot and repair component you'll find. And, yes, hubs are
passive, in that they don't amplify, and they're quite like power
strips which have plugs and little lights on them. And just like the
power system needs filters and transformers to make the computer
work, so does networking need drivers. But once somebody smart
builds the power supply and installs their networking drivers for
them, they can use the other end of the computer in blissfull
ignorance of all that nasty technology under the hood. I assume
they're using windows, in which case setting up a peer network is
just about as easy as plugging in a power strip.

I hope these folks aren't family. I can tolerate customers like that
since they tend to pay well.

---------------------
On 31 Oct 01, at 12:24, J. R. Fox wrote:
> Seems they don't want any part of networking ("another layer of
> stuff that can go wrong"), and strongly adhere to the "KISS"
> principle (Keep it Simple . . . . ). ...
>
> In any case, I wanted to ask a much simpler question now. Are
> any of these hubs you see being sold entierely "passive" -- that
> is, akin to the 3-in-one socket adapters for an electrical outlet
> ? (Or a power strip.) I'm thinking in terms of 2 or more
> computers sharing a broadband connection, plugging in or out at
> will, without any networking, drivers, etc. being involved.

Return to [ 31 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904
Santa Ana, CA 92799-6904, USA