Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:03:30 PDT
From: Wayne Cypress <waynecypress@compuserve.com >
To: < "INTERNET:scoug-help@scoug.com" > scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Netscape (& other) problems

Content Type: text/plain

Message reply post Message reply post Message reply post Message reply
post

I'm new at this scoug help stuff... interesting that you knew MY name, bu=
that your reply didn't have a name on it (just scoug-help). But, THANKS f=
or
the reply!

Item>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
=

>> 1. One obvious symptom is that Netscape takes 90+ seconds at 100%
processor
>> utilization to come down after clicking "exit" or the exit symbol

>Haven't seen this. Sometimes NS will hang on Exit. Often, this is a
Java
>Console that failed to disengage. Ctrl-Alt-Del Cmdr. (my process kille=
r,
>which I used to replace the no longer supported Process Cmdr. a while
back)
>has always been able to kill this recalcitrant item.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I seem to have pinned this down to the most recent Netscape release (as o=
July 2001), since I've now tested the internet connection with an older
60mhz Pentium PS/2 computer that had an older Netscape release on it (lat=
2000, perhaps) and it does not exhibit this shutdown problem; actually it=
not technically a shutdown hang because it WILL complete after a fairly
predictable time period. =

What the heck is Ctrl-Alt-Del Cmdr? Or a Java Console?

Item>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
=

>> 2. I also see problems with some selected websites in that some pages=

do
>> not seem to ever end (don't show up on the display) but rather use 70=
%
or
>> so of the processor forever (sometimes several reloads will finally g=
et
the
>> page to show up).

>My CPU use doesn't peg nearly that high, but I sometimes run into pages=

that
>take forever to load, load hardly at all or only partially, and require=

>several re-tries to bring up. Assuming it is not a page that requires
>JavaScript turned ON or cookies (my defaults for these are OFF, enablin=
them
>only as needed, but that is the first thing I test), this is usually du=
>slow net traffic or a congested site.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have Java, Javascript, and cookies all enabled. I don't think its
congestion because other netscape users at one particular site (that I'm
having the difficulty with) are having the problem too, while MS Internet=

Explorer users are not. Also, it is associated with particular pages, whi=
ch
are for text entry of a reply and are not particularly complex.

Item >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> 3. It is very seldom that the Netscape "stop" button is NOT enabled
between
>> web pages (even though "done" appears in the bar at the bottom of
Netsca
>> pe window).

> I've had the Stop button become greyed out unexpectedly, but this is
very
>rare. Much more common is having the "Get Message" button become greye=
out,
>in the NS Email client, after a couple of failed attempts to retrieve
>messages when I'm experiencing Mail Server problems.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I think you have this reversed; what I'm saying is that pages appear to b=
complete and the Netscape message bar says they're done, but the stop
button never gets greyed-out, and clicking it does not cause it to change=

state. This happens very frequently on my system, in fact most of the tim=
e.
I don't use NS Email client.

Item >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> 4. Perhaps a side issue, not a performance issue, but sometimes get
Java
>> error returned from some web pages I try to access.

>Must be a page built with MS Frontpage or whatever, for the MS Internet=

>Exploiter browser. NS 4.61 is either not up on the latest Java coding,=

or
>very vulnerable to the non-standard tricks MS has introduced into websi=
te
>design. Of course, they'd like all products other than their own
*current*
>ones to be incompatible.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

That may very well be the case. In fact, I even have that problem doing t=
he
setup on my LinkSys router, so I have to use Win95 and MS Internet Explor=
er
to do the setup.

Item >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>> Wow, just had a shocker... in addition to the info I listed in my pri=
or
>> note (see below), I just found a website that is supposed to check
internet
>>speed: Http://www.speedus.com

>> Using Netscape under Warp 4, my speed was "clocked" as from 41 to 51
kbps in
>> 4 runs.

>> Using Netscape under Windows 95, my speed was "clocked" from 95 to 10=
4
kbps.

>> Neither of those clockings were anywhere near what DSL should be

>> Anyone have any ideas... is my experience normal or abnormal?

>I have DSL service, and a fistfull of these speed-test sites bookmarked=
. =

They
>mostly tend to disagree wildly with each other, depending on where the
test
>server is located (distance from you and the routing between), net
traffic
>conditions and time of day, etc. Which suggests to me that their
reliability
>is open to question. You can do a more meaningful test with large file=

>downloads, esp. if you maintain a dial-up connection for backup purpose=
s,
as
>some of us do. Reaching and downloading from the same site both ways
should
>tell you a lot. I've had periods (too many and too often) where the
dialup
>was obviously much faster. Ergo, Pac Bell's DSL service was in the
toilet.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have not been able to get In-Joy working to either of my ISPs (Compuser=
ve
and my DSL provider) since I installed DSL. Had the same difficulty under=

Windows95, although W95 insists on (unsuccessfully) trying the dialup
connection first, until I cancel that, then it accepts/finds the Ethernet=

connection. I was (perhaps erroneously) assuming that maybe only one type=

of tcpip internet connection (Ethernet or dialup) is allowed at one time.=

My most recent attempts ended with a server nak of a "PAP" authentication=
,
whatever that is!!! Unfortunately there is no hope of getting assistance
from the ISPs on a Warp connection, and the In-Joy documentation hasn't
been much help. I've spent many hours trying to get a dial-up connection
working.

I did go to the website of my local cable company (Cox) and it had a larg=
graphics file download it said wuld take 7 seconds under cable... I gave =
up
after about a minute and didn't have even 20% of it on my screen at that
point. =

But, as noted above, it appears my primary DSL performance problem is
coutesy of the phone company, so now I guess I may need to seriously
consider spending yet more bucks to change to a cable connection.

Return to [ 07 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904
Santa Ana, CA 92799-6904, USA