Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:10:11 PDT
From: Sheridan George <s-geo@usa.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Pinging

Content Type: text/plain

Peter Skye wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Sheridan George wrote:
> >
> > why can I ping all URLs I tried but that one URL when
> > my [other] machine says that same URL returns pings?
>
> My best guess is that you have a firewall (maybe InJoy firewall?) and

No, internal LAN to SMC router (same as your's - 7004BR).

> somehow have the NTP (time) IP addresses blocked or your NAT (Network
> Address Translation) isn't allowing the responses to get back to the
> machine which originated them. Your message *seemed* to say that your
> wife's machine's os2ntpd can ping *one* of the two ntp IP addresses but
> not the other one, and that you can ping *both* of the IP addresses from
> your own machine (yes?). If you post the two IP addresses I can check
> them here.

Boy, did I ever botch up that message. My wife's machine will not ping a URL that mine will.

> Other possibilities that don't fit your scenario but I'll mention
> anyway:
>
> -- none of the time servers were "online" at the moment you turned on
> the machine (this one might cause os2ntpd to not use them but wouldn't
> cause the Ping problem you mentioned).

I had both machines running at the same time. Wife's was turned on first. OS2_NTPD goes out and looks
at the list of time servers every 16 (units unknown) according to the cfg file.

> -- if you don't have os2ntpd's cfg_data file on your wife's machine then
> os2ntpd.exe doesn't have the slightest idea where it's supposed to go to
> get time information (but this has nothing to do with the Pings).

It's there with three servers listed. I didn't ping from the cfg. list I simply pressed the F7 key
and pinged from both machines the URL listed on the screen (192.5.41.40). Mine would ping, her's
would not. Both machines are connected directly to the 7004BR not a hub.

> Ping isn't a server. It's the result of sending small ICMP messages to
> an IP address. The IP *stack* (no server necessary) on the foreign
> machine responds to them.
>
> Thus, if you ping *any* machine that's currently connected to the net
> you should get a response, even if they aren't running a server. Ping
> simply says "there's a machine here with an active IP stack".
>
> os2ntpd.exe uses a list of time servers stored in a file named cfg_data
> (it's probably in the same directory as the program). You can add more
> time servers to the list if you want, and remove the ones that are no
> longer working. There should be an os2_ntpd.man text file in your
> original .zip file which explains this and some other stuff, but this

It's all there.

> has nothing to do with Ping either, it's just hard to keep me quiet once
> I get started.
>
> - Peter

Yes, I noticed. It took me three days to read the missive.

Sheridan

Return to [ 08 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904