Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 16:50:44 PDT
From: Steve Carter <scarter@vcnet.com >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Print Servers (SMC)

Content Type: text/plain

I misspoke (slightly) earlier about HP print servers.

Among full-featured HP external (stand-alone) print servers,
I've found:

HP170 -- 10Mb/s, one printer port <--- I've got this one
HP300 -- 10/100Mb/s, one printer port
HP500 -- 10/100Mb/s, three printer ports

Additionally, there are a number of micro, or pocket-sized print
servers that should also work for you. The Digi 3400x came with my
Xerox NC20 (about $120), the $70 D-Link DP-101, the Kingston
KNP101X, etc. I found an new but "open box" HP 170x for $40 once,
months ago. It's kinda old, big and klunky compared to the micro
print servers available today, but works well. One useful feature
is the ability to update (flash) the firmware. One of mine doesn't
have this feature, and is "frozen in time".

There are a number of 3-port print servers on PriceWatch in the $90+
area. Prices are falling VERY hard as network printing seems to be
catching on in a big way and the low-cost manufacturers are getting
into the market. Be sure it handles the protocols you need; for OS/2
that means TCP/IP. The HP150x does NOT support TCP/IP, for example.

Internal (built-in) print servers from HP (for their printers) are
still $200-$300, but the solution of choice for many businesses.

I have no direct experience with the printer switches Peter mentions,
but a printer switch should, in principle, work. At one time, not
too long ago, printers were dying because their interfaces were being
zapped by electrical overstress induced by mechanical printer switches.
The electronic or make-before-break kind were being recommended
as a solution at that time. It got so bad that even HP stated
that they would refuse to honor the warranty of of a printer
that had been damaged in that way. Make sure that the printers
are plugged into the same outlet strip so they have the SAME
ground (green wire in the power cord). It's not enough,
but it's a start.

+++++++++++
On 10/6/01, Jordan Fox wrote, in part:

>How many print servers might one need ? Whenever I do set up the SMC
>I bought for others, I know they will have one b&w laser printer,
>and one color inkjet, to be shared -- at will -- by two separate
>workstations.
>What sort of cabling is involved -- just more ethernet cable ? Can
>there be some sort of ual connection, such that a workstation can
>_also_ directly drive a printer, as an alternative to using the
>network printing ? >TIA. >Jordan

Return to [ 07 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904