Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:11:43 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: Bootable CDs

Content Type: text/plain

Uhm, Dave, I meant to forward my reply:

Hi Dave,

I have saved 3 different "White Papers" on this subject. I believe that two of these
How To articles ran in the VOICE newsletter. The third one came from somewhere else,
I think. They were long and technical, with too many hoops to be jumped through for
my taste -- or at least, for any near-term experimentation. I printed them out for
sure, but may still have them as files I could send you. Also, Jack Troughton had a
very interesting piece on this subject, regarding some new and unfinished Warp
utility, which ran in the May '01 issue of the Extended Attributes magazine of POSSI.
If you don't have it, I can xerox it for you. I wrote to Troughton, requesting that
he do a "cookbook" follow-up to his original piece, but he never responded.

Needless to say, if someone manages to crack this, it would make a *great* SCOUG
session. (Steven expressed some doubts that the full extent of what Troughton
proposed was actually possible. And this may be due to some deliberate limitations
imposed by IBM or Serenity. That's all I know.)

Feel free to put this on the SCOUG Help List for discussion.

Jordan

P.S. -- Can someone tell me how to avoid the annoying problem of short lines turning
up in messages like those on this List, whether it happens to be stuff that is quoted
or pasted or directly typed in ? I have tried removing all hard carriage returns (so
text will wrap on its own to fill any space), futzed around with the Mail Client
window margins, etc., all to no avail. Sometimes there will still be short lines,
sometimes not, and if there is any consistent pattern I haven't found it yet. (This
happens other places too, such as in regular email.)

jf

Return to [ 01 | October | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904