Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 05:42:10 PDT
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: IDE problem

Content Type: text/plain

Sandy,

More on the Hardware Manager. For verification of some of the
information, below, I refer you to the "Hardware Manager" section of the
"Help Index", which is in your "Assistance Center" folder, which is in
the "OS/2 System" folder on your desktop.

As I said previously, the idea is that just before you make any hardware
changes on your system, you set the Hardware Manager to "Full Hardware
Detection." You do that just before system shutdown. First, install the
driver for your new hardware (if applicable), change the Hardware
Manager setting, then shut down and change and/or install the new
hardware physically on your system. Then you bootup and OS/2 now has a
record of your new system - all the IRQ, I/O, DMA, etc assignments
(these assignments are made by the MB system BIOS and not the OS; OS/2
simply reads the assignments and sets up accordingly). You can then
change the Hardware Manager back to the "Use Previous Hardware
Detection" setting and proceed as normal.

In a perfect world you can make the hardware changes like this and then
bootup with no problems. Occasionally, however, your system will stumble
on bootup (a trap). If it does, usually the problem is an incompatible
snoop file listed in the snoop list (C:\OS2\BOOT\SNOOP.LST) SNOOP.LST is
an ASCII file that lists all of the snoop files, *.snp, on your system.
These files have information that the Hardware Manager uses to become
"aware" of your hardware. If there is a problem you have to edit
SNOOP.LST to find the offending *.snp file(s) (by trial and error). You
can "remove" the offending file(s) by placing a semi colon (";") in
front of the offending *.snp file name(s) in SNOOP.LST.

When you boot OS/2 you have the option of pressing ALT-F1, when you see
the white rectangle in the up left-hand corner of the screen. That
action stops the bootup and takes you to a screen where you can one make
of several selections, like:
A. bootup in VGA mode
B. Enable Full Hardware Detection
C. Disable Hardware Detection
If, after installing new hardware you have a trap, you can reboot, press
ALT-F1, disable hardware detection and continue the bootup. The bootup
will probably continue to the desktop without any other problems.
However, the Hardware Manager might not be aware of all the hardware
and/or the (new) system settings assigned by the BIOS.

The Hardware Manager settings are contained in the binary file,
C:\OS2\BOOT\PREVIOUS.DAT. If you make changes, like going from "Use
Previous Hardware Detection" to "Full Hardware Detection", they are
stored there. On my system I have problems using ALT-F1 on bootup.
Sometimes my system blows right past that and continues with the bootup.
Therefore, I was forced to make a copy of PREVIOUS.DAT before changing
the Hardware Manager to "Full Hardware Detection". Then after shutting
down and making the hardware changes, if I had any problems on bootup, I
could restore the Hardware Manager to its previous configuration by
copying back in that copy of PREVIOUS.DAT.

If you make a lot of changes to your system, you might consider setting
up OS/2 so that "Full Hardware Detection" works reliably (editing the
SNOOP.LST until you can boot up under "Full Hardware Detection").

HCM

Sandy Shapiro wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Wow-- learn something new every day.
> No, for all the years I've been using OS/2 (from the 2.1 beta), I never
> new about hardware manager!
>
> I've been through about 6 motherboards, and this is the first time I've
> had a problem.
>
> But next time I will be prepared.
>
> Thanks very much for the tip.
>
> Best,
> Sandy
>
> >Yeah, stuff like that happens to me too!
>
> >When you first installed the new motherboard and booted to OS/2 did you
> >first, at the previous shutdown of OS/2, configure it to accept the new
> >hardware? You should have set the Hardware Manager to "Full Hardware
> >Detection" in its properties notebook (the Hardware Manager is in the
> >"System Setup" folder, which is in the "OS/2 System" folder on the
> >desktop). That way you can (should be able to) put your PCI cards in any
> >slot and it won't matter!
>
> >HCM
> >_______________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> >Sandy Shapiro wrote:
> >>
> >> =====================================================
> >> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> >> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> >> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
> >> =====================================================
> >>
> >> Ok -- I think I have it figured it out.
> >>
> >> When I changed motherboards, I didn't use the same PCI slots as before,
> >> and that caused a conflict with DANIATAP.FLT and the RSJ drivers. I could
> >> attach the CD-RW, but I couldn't access the CD Rom drive.
> >>
> >> I moved a PCI card from Slot 2 to Slot 3, and everything became OK.
> >>
> >> Sorry for the confusion about IDE connections. I have two hard drives,
> >> both on the primary IDE connector, one master and one slave.
> >>
> >> I have one CD-RW drive always on the secondary IDE connector (first as
> >> slave, now as master -- that didn't seem to make any difference.
> >>
> >> The new motherboard has two sets of IDE connectors: Ultra DMA 100, and
> >> regular.
> >>
> >> So -- I have the two hard drives on the ULTRA DMA 100 PRIMARY connector,
> >> and I have the CD-RW drive on the the Regular IDE SECONDARY connector.
> >>
> >> The Dani driver lets me use one CD-RW drive as either a CD Rom drive or as
> >> a CD Burner (if anyone wants to know the drive parameters I use, let me
> >> know).
> >>
> >> Now OS/2 is happy and Windows is happy, and I can even boot from the CD
> >> Rom drive.
> >>
> >> I haven't done a thorough testing yet, but I don't anticipate any more
> >> problems. I find this DMA business and IRQ stuff very confusing.
> >>
> >> Thanks for all the help.
> >> Sometimes after I post a question, I will wake up in the middle of the
> >> night and think, "Maybe its the PCI slots!" Then I have to wait all day
> [...]

Return to [ 08 | November | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904
Santa Ana, CA 92799-6904, USA