Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:39:54 PDT
From: Michael Rakijas <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: scoug-help <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Non IBM Internet Dialers

** Reply to message from Harry Chris Motin on Tue, 30
Oct 2001 05:23:11 PDT

> located. Therefore, now when I double-click on any FTP-PM object, it
> invokes linkup.exe, which in turn invokes the AT&T dialer (that it thinks
> is the IBM dialer).

So the AT&T dialer is the one that is invoked when it is set up this way.

> When linkup.exe comes up, it has buttons that allow you to "Connect to
> the
> Internet", "Not Connect: or "Cancel". It also has 2 option buttons: one
> for
> using the IBM Internet dialer, the other for using "Other Dialer". If I
> select the option for using the IBM dialer (actually, that's what I have
> now set it to) and then press the "Connect" button everything works,
> because
> I fooled it with the dialer.

So, for the most part you can connect as you want with no problem.

>However, if I select the "Other Dialer"
> option and then press "Connect", a new dialog comes up, allowing me to
> dial, or add, modify or remove an entry for logging on. That is the
> process I cannot get to work correctly on linkup.exe. How do you add an
> entry to linkup.exe allowing you to use it with a dialer other than the
> IBM dialer?

I guess this is the question that confuses me. Entries are added to linkup but
you're still using the dialer with the parameters and login sequence you specify
- it doesn't use a different dialer. So, I presume you mean to find out how to
connect to ISPs other than AT&T. Since the AT&T dialer doesn't appear to allow
connection to other ISPs, you need to know how to get the original linkup.exe,
not the fooled one, to work with AT&T (if that's not right correct me). First
off, there are two reasons that AT&T distributes or just made their own dialer.
One is to simply make it easy for their customers to connect to their service.
So, they hardwired all the connection info so their customers have it easy and
are not confused. The other is that they are doing something that is not
standard and they needed to modify the innards of the connection negotiation to
accommodate it. If it's the former, you should be able to add a connection to
IBM's linkup.exe that let's you add the phone number and connection info
required for AT&T. This by itself is not easy because you may have to reverse
engineer this negotiation/login procedure. The best hope is to contact AT&T's
tech support and determine what the sequence (for example, login syntax) and
parameters (for example, VJ compression) they need. It could be much easier if
you can find other AT&T - OS/2 users who can help solve the problem (try the
general OS/2 usenet groups). Now, if the reason they have their own custom
dialer is because they do something non-standard, then I think you're kinda out
of luck - you're stuck using the AT&T dialer. I presume you're asking because
you have two ISPs and you'd like to switch between the two and you'd like to use
one dialer for both (otherwise you would just be happy with your patched setup)?
Maybe a scheme can be devised whereby you have both dialups (original and
fooled) under separate names (like linkup.att and linkup.ibm) in the same
directory as dialup.exe. A simple batch file should be able to execute the one
command to copy linkup.xxx to linkup.exe depending on which ISP you want to
connect to.

I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong track here but I hope this helps.

> The only way I can do it now is to trick it, as explained
> above.
>
> HCM

-Rocky

Return to [ 06 | November | 2001 ]