Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:40:40 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: .MPG limitations in Warp | ".MPEG" format

Content Type: text/plain

Peter Skye wrote:

> First, the 10MB high resolution file doesn't work with the Warp
4
> video player. Anybody know why?
> Fifth, are there any other MPG viewers for OS/2?

Speaking strictly from experience, without any real understanding
of
what may be going on "under the hood," I would be inclined to say
that
1) All .MPG files are far from being the same exact format, & 2)
Un-
fortunately, the .MPG player built-in to Warp is much inferior to
the
one you get with most any flavor of WIN.

There are many .MPG clips that I cannot play under Warp -- black
or
blank screen; green & white background screen but no video;
playback
freezes immediately or simply won't load at all; locks Warp up
tight
with one attempted playing, or cumulatively after "x" number of
clips
have been played -- various symptoms that I just don't see at all

under WIN. I am *not* talking about .ASF or other _different_
for-
mats. Let's face it: multimedia has never been a real Warp
strong
point. (But a lot of .MPG clips do play fine on my system, so I
don't think there is any wider problem at work.)

PMMPEG is shareware, correct ? Let us hope that Warpmedia turns
out
to be a real breakthrough. Oh yeah, there is also the no-longer-

developed QuickMotion, which plays .MOV clips (equals older
version
QuickTime files, I think).

While on this subject, can anyone tell me if there is a way to
have
ASSOEDIT enable the playing of .MPEG files (which I hope is just
variant Windoze spelling . . . but Warp will not recognize it) ?
Doing this manually in Warp with the player object's properties
was
a No Go, but I thought ASSOEDIT might have more versatility in
finessing this. Couldn't find the answer in the ASSOEDIT HELP,
and
an email to Kelder drew no response. (btw, I've already
confirmed
that renaming a test sample of such clips to *.MPG allows them
to play normally. Those that are going to play still do.)

Jordan

Return to [ 14 | July | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904