Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:44:58 PST
From: Benedict G Archer <bgarcher@gte.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: DSL question

Content Type: text/plain

Sandy,

Sandy Shapiro wrote:

> Hi Ben,
> Thanks for the information.
>
> I now have the Linksys router, but not the DSL modem yet.
>
> I tried using the hub without success.
>
> My two computers connect OK using a crossover cable.
>
> I connected them to the router/hub using straight through cables, and they
> work fine under Windows. But under OS/2, I can't get them to see each
> other.
>
> I reconfigured TCPIP settings to Enable Interface and to connect
> automatically using DHCP. I removed all other information from the other
> tabs except for user name.
>
> My laptop can at least see the router when I use Netscape. But my desktop
> cannot see it, and on boot up it gives the error message: DHCPSTRT: DHCP
> client did not get parameters etc.

There may be an issue related to your OS/2 and TCP/IP fixpak levels. One
of my PCs is Warp 4 FP12, and two others are MCP. They're all talking
with no problems and all see the router/switch without entering anything
in the the routing page (contrary to advice I saw somewhere else).
However, you might try entering the LinkSys address (192,168.1.1) as the
destination on the router page, with 255.25.255.0 as subnet mask. The
DHCP monitor (in System Setup) shows the connections and details. A
LinkSys representative at a recent SCOUG meeting was unable to establish
a connection to a LinkSys router, and some suggested that this problem
would be fixed by installing a fix to TCP/IP or MPTN, or upgrading the
LinkSys program? If you can't load the LinkSys configuration pages by
entering 192.168.1.1 in Netscape from one of your computers, but can
from another somthing is probably (I have to hedge 'cause I really don't
know) wrong in that PC.

> As far as I can tell, both computers have the exact same TCPIP settings
> and protocols.

for Peer to peer you also need the netbios protocol, but if the two
computers are communicating when connected with a cross over cable, net
bios must be installed ok.

> Can someone out there help me?
>
> Thanks,
> Sandy
>
> >You do have to change TCPIP configuration. You can do this from the
> >TCP/IP configuration Notebook. To find TCP/IP Configuration open OS/2
> >System from the desktop, then open System Setup, then open TCP/IP
> >configuration (Local). I think there is only one thing you need to set.
> >From the Network Tab in the notebook select LAN interface 0 (which should
> >already be configured for you NIC with the TCP/IP protocol), check Enable
> >Interface, and also select Automatically, Using DHCP. The LinkSys
> >router, which has default name 192.168.1.1 will dynamically assign names
> >like 192.168.1.104 to all the clients it serves. You can see what this
> >name is from the HOST tab in the configuration notebook. This name is
> >assigned dynamically, and will differ from time to time. You don't enter
> >anything here. Similarly, when you're connected directly to the modem,
> >if your ISP is a DHCP server, it will dynamically assign a name.
>
> >If I've got that wrong, I trust somebody watching this list will correct
> >me.
>
> >I think that's all I did to get things working here. All the defaults in
> >the LinkSys were OK.
>
> >Ben A.

Return to [ 12 | February | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group