Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:42:54 PST
From: Tom Brown <thombrown@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Video card troubles - help needed

Content Type: text/plain

Last year, I built a custom system (see below) which has been working
just fine for about four months. I have been turning it off at night due
to the high cost of power. When I turned it on last Saturday, I got one
long beeeeeeep and no raster on my monitor. I took the ATi Rage card
back to the place of purchase. They tested it in one of their systems,
and sure enough, it was bad. The gave me a new one under warranty and
RMAed the old one. When I got the new card home and put it into the
machine, I got the same result: one long beeeeeep, no display.

Several days later, I went to another store and got a different video
card, a cheapie variety with a PCI interface. When I put this card into
my machine, same story, beeeeeep, no raster.

I now figure that I have spent enough money on video cards and I need
some help.

Does anyone have an idea as to how to proceed? I obviously can't get to
the bios or see any error messages that it might be trying to show me.

Configuration:
PC Power & Cooling full tower case
PC P&C Silencer 400 watt power supply
Abit KT-7 (non-raid) motherboard
AMD Athlon 900 MHz cpu
256 MB ECC RAM from Crucial
ATi Rage 128 AGP video card
LSI SymBios Sym 21002 Dual Channel SCSI
10 GB IDE (boot drive w/Boot Manager & Win NT 4.0)
IBM 9.1 GB SCSI drive
Plextor 4Plex SCSI CDROM
Plextor SCSI CDRW
SCSI tape drive