Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:19:05 PST7
From: "Steven Levine" <steve53@earthlink.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Re: check ini

In <0GOK00C7UPRS7Y@mta6.snfc21.pbi.net>, on 12/18/01
at 08:28 PM, sshapiro@ucsd.edu (Sandy Shapiro) said:

>Just because I read it does not mean I remember it.
>When you get to by my age, you will understand.

I'm not that far behind. :-)

>> archinst

>>fromt the command line

>I get the error message: Unknown command ARCHINST

Typo alert. A little hunting would have found arcinst.

>I have been using WPS Bkup for years (since Warp V.3). I can always
>restore the desktop from a maintenance partition.

That's fine. Just as long as your restores never fail.

Since you have good backups, let's do some more agressive cleanup...

Search the log for "cannot" and deregister the classes for the rest of the
non-existant class DLL's.

Search the log for "does not exist." IIRC, Unimaint should be reporting
these and offering to delete them. If not, try the more agressive options
such as:

Delete Ignored Handles
Do Agressive File Handles Repair

Run in "Ask First" mode so you can see what is happening.

Get a copy of Carsten Arnold's cleanini:

http://home.t-online.de/home/C.Arnold/download/cleanini55.zip

It runs similar to checkini. Run it until it finds no more unused handles
to delete.

Then it's time to try checkini again and give me a status update.

Just to refresh my memory, you are running Warp4, FP15? Correct?

Also, just in case I forget to check before, verify that you do not have a
SET Desktop statement in config.sys.

Steven

--

Return to [ 19 | December | 2001 ]