Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:43:07 PDT
From: "J. R. Fox" <jr_fox@pacbell.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: DAT drive: Cleaning & s/w replies

Content Type: text/plain

> at 12:00 PM, "J. R. Fox" said:
>
> Is this just a matter of removing the drive itself, for proper access,
> or are you suggesting that I would need to physically disassemble the
> drive, at least partially ? Can this not alternately be accomplished

To which Steven replied:

> You would need to remove the top cover.

>with some sort of vacuuming, or long cleaning swabs + denatured alcohol ?

> Not really. There's no access.

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you may have done this a few
times ? If so, I might need some (in-person) guidance when I get
around to doing this, to make sure it is done right and no damage
is done. Perhaps at some future Help Desk ?

>The drive's manual states that no user service is required, other than
>periodic use of the cleaning cartridge, and that opening the unit would
>void the warranty. Maybe they should make a cleaning cartridge that

>What they mean if it you have troubles beyond what the cleaning cartridge
> or air will fix, it's time to call for service. They say the same thing
> about radios and TV's.

But this sounds like a fundamental maintenance issue, that is
bound to come up sooner or later.

Jordan

Harry Motin wrote:

> OK, I was just wondering. I guess everyone has their backup preferences,
> likes and dislikes. For the record, I use BA 2000 Workstation on my OS/2
> computer and BA II on my wife's Windows 98 machine. The uncompressed
> file formats are the same for those 2 programs, so I can easily take
> files from one machine to the other (they are not networked).

That accounts for some of the main problems I've had with the CDS
programs. In prior testing, I could not get "crossover"
readability between tapes made by their different-platform
programs, one of the major claimed features. Theoretically (I
think) you should be able to do more than access the tape made
with the other version. Like
actually restore from one to the "other side." (If this is
correct, I don't know if LFNs or EAs would be respected in the
cross-Restore process, though I suppose they would have to be in
order for this to be of any use.) Also, their NT Workstation
program is supposed to be able to make use of backup tapes made
by NT's built-in NT-Backup program,
which I think is a light version of Backup Exec. (?) This never
worked for me either, and tended to trigger the rather annoying
"Dr. Watson" trap-recording utility. To be fair about this, a
few updates have come along since then, and I haven't retested
this with the latest versions.

> I have not had any problems with BA 2000 or BA II, so maybe I can help
> you with yours, if you want to switch to them. I really like both
> programs. On my Os/2 machine, I've done a couple of complete restores
> onto newly formatted HDD's, using a minimal OS/2 system, booted from
> floppies. It works just fine.

If it turns out that MSR has really bitten the dust, as may well
be the case, and BackMaster cannot support ECS once I get to
that, I may take you up on this offer. One of the major points
would be becoming comfortable with their standalone Restore
utility (from a minimal floppy boot). This was always a great
strength of BackMaster, and the
one CDS had was *very* inferior. But I'm told they re-did it
from scratch, and I haven't tried out the newer utility.

> After each backup I keep a copy of the most one on the HDD that contains my bootup
> system (1 copy takes up little space). That way, if I have a hard drive failure
> somewhere, I still have a working backup on the other physical drive. I
> assume that 2 drives will not crash at once.

I wouldn't make that assumption. If a power supply goes, it
could take other components with it. We think my relative's IBM
hard drive may have died because the main system fan died, and
heat built up before the dead fan was discovered.

> The only thing I give up is a backup that I can keep some place else besides at my
> machine. The chances of a disaster at the machine (a fire, etc.) are
> pretty low (I hope??).

Hmmm, ever heard of earthquakes ? I was here for Northridge, and
won't soon forget it. (The effects of that were apparently far
less for all you folks in Orange County.) So much time and effort
went into the tuning & customization of my OS / app.s
environments -- incl. stuff I would quite possibly not know how
to do again at this point, I feel the
need to have remote and redundant backups. Maybe it's paranoid,
but I also keep a set on the other coast, although those get
updated much less often.

By the way, Ghost has a substantial offer offer going at the
moment -- should be 20 bucks after the rebate. I bought a copy
to compare it to Drive Image, particularly re the
packet-writing-to-CD feature that does not work on my h/w.

Jordan

Return to [ 31 | August | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group
P.O. Box 26904