Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 19:58:41 PDT
From: Harry Chris Motin <hmotin@attglobal.net >
To: scoug-help@scoug.com
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Be Prepared, Be Prepared

Content Type: text/plain

Peter,

I believe I can answer that last question. Apparently, you need
BackAgain 2000 server version, not the workstation version. According to
CDS BackAgain 2000 server will handle JFS and LVM. I asked them a couple
of weeks ago.
HCM

Peter Skye wrote:

> If you are responding to someone asking for help who
> may not be a member of this list, be sure to use the
> REPLY TO ALL feature of your email program.
>
> Mark Abramowitz wrote:
> >
> > >I just started the command files which will run CHKDSK
> > >on all the machines' HPFS partitions. (I use AUTOCHECK
> > >on the boot partitions only.) It'll take at least 2
> > >hours for them to complete.
> >
> > When you get your copy of eComStation, try using JFS
> > instead of HPFS. I haven't done it yet on my machines
> > (my version of Back Again 2000 doesn't support JFS),
> > but the recovery is supposed to be VERY fast.
>
> Yes, thanks Mark, that's one benefit of JFS that Kim has been promoting
> for a couple of years now.
>
> Do you know if JFS requires LVM? It doesn't seem that it should.
>
> I've heard that LVM is rock-solid but as far as I know it doesn't have
> any auditing features to let you know the range of drive parameters
> which any partition is ensconced upon.
>
> For example, suppose I put my swapper.dat file on H: because that is the
> "most-used partition on the least-used drive" and also because it's on a
> fast SCSI drive. Then suppose a year later I add a cheap 40 GB Maxtor
> IDE drive (5400 rpm). And since my H: drive is getting pretty full I
> decide to "span" it over to the slow IDE drive, forgetting that I have
> swapper.dat on it. So all of a sudden when I swap, everything is
> noticeably slower.
>
> An LVM auditing utility would *tell* me when I've done something like
> this (who memorizes all their drive parameters on all their machines?)
> and would also look at specific "gotcha" situations such as spanned
> swapper.dat files.
>
> Does eCS JFS come with the JFS FixPak installed, or do you have to do
> that yourself?
>
> And that's a good point about backup, Mark. What are the backup
> solutions for JFS partitions?
>
> - Peter

Return to [ 03 | August | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group