Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:09:17 PDT
From: "mrakijas" <mrakijas@oco.net >
To: <scoug-help@scoug.com >
Subject: SCOUG-Help: Video driver install problem

Content Type: text/plain

See comments below.

From: "Gary Wong"
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:07:06 PDT

>Rocky:
>
>According to the IBM Device Driver Pak website, there's a driver

there (filename is
>OS240026.ZIP). Go to
>http://service5.boulder.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/Driver+Profile+Web/OS

240026.ZIP?Open
>Document.

I looked at this file but was somewhat suspicious. There appear
to be two lines of S3 drivers for the Vision/Trio/Virge chipsets.
The above file is an older version of one line. If you go with
this line, there is a more recent version (4.10.05 instead of the
above 4.00.26 - a file called s3trio3d.zip) but it does not claim
compatibility with the numerical chip (a 368) I need although it
claims support for IBM notebooks with the Trio3D video subsystem.
The other S3 driver line, which I am using, is version 2.00.01 of
a driver line that claims to support the 362/368 chip specifically
so I went with that one.

>I'm surprised you don't want to try SciTech Display Doctor

(either the full version or the
>IBM version)?

Although I used to be pretty cutting edge with equipment and
drivers, I've become more conservative because I just don't have
too much time to futz around. Managing multiple machines ("he's
not my dad, he's my sysadmin" is heard in my house) with all the
FixPaks, updates and drivers not to mention trying to get some
things done with my own machine (I can't seem to locate random but
often-enough traps and I can't get them to dump to my dump
partition right now) is not easy to do in a limited amount of
spare time. Eventually, I'll get to it but I want to start
experimenting with ECS first. In the meantime, I'm trying to get
this "production" machine back on my daughter's desk before school
starts again.

>On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:47:05 PDT, mrakijas wrote:
>
>> Now it's the video

-Rocky

Return to [ 24 | August | 2001 ]

The Southern California OS/2 User Group